Over the last decades, magnetic nanoparticles have been the object of intense research activities driven both by basic research and their use in a wide range of applications. After an introduction to nanomagnetism and its occurence in nature, this lecture will give an overview of recent research on today’s and future applications e.g. in medical theranostics, environmental care, and technology.
In more detail, it will cover the following topics:
• Superparamagnetism and magnetic relaxation
• Biomagnetism and magnetoreception
• magnetic resonance Imaging and hyperthermia cancer treatment
• High-density data storage devices
• Magnetic cooling/refrigeration